Prep time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Makes 2-3 servings
1 1/4 C Sorghum Flour- Gluten and Wheat Free
1/8 C water
1/2 piece bacon (optional)
1/4 C flour
1 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1/2 of a Granny Smith Apple- chopped
1/2 C water
1 t honey
You will also need a ramekin or small pie tin for baking.
1. Turn on oven to 350 degrees.
2. Crust - Beat together flour, egg, and water until completely mixed. Put in fridge for 10 minutes.
3. Filling - In a small saucepan combine flour, cinnamon, vanilla, water, honey and apple. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
4. Cook 1 slice of bacon on a skillet until crispy, chop, and stir into apple mixture. (we only added 1/2 of the bacon strip)
5. Take out the dough and flatten into a circle large enough to cover the ramekin. Pour filling into the ramekin and cover with the dough (you will have a little left over). Pinch the edges together to finish off the crust, and score the top.
6. Put in the oven for 20 min.
We scooped out a large spoonful of the filling and served it in a separate bowl after cooled.
If your dog loves apples they make a great pie filling. We also used Sorghum flour for the first time and it worked pretty well for the crust. Though it is a grain, it is gluten and wheat free. We try to rotate and experiment with different types of flours we use to accommodate dogs with allergies. This type of flour is usually used for breads, pastries, and cookies. It is high in protein and fiber.
*Because Sorghum Flour is high in protein we do not recommend it's use for pups with kidney problems.
And yes your dogs can have apples, they are also a great treat uncooked. Maru had actually never eaten one before! I am not going to say it's her favorite treat, but she did manage to finish her slice of pie and I don't think she will shy away from another!